GOOD BYE

Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes



I was trying to think of a fun dessert that I could use for my weekly dinner exchange, and remembered my mom making these when I was a little girl. These were such a hit with my kids and my friend's family that I thought I'd share it here too.

1 pkg (18 1/2 oz.) devil's food cake mix (Other cake flavors would work too. I think strawberry would be fun to try!)
1/3 c. sour cream
1/4 c. oil
3 eggs
1 pkg. flat-bottomed ice cream cones
White frosting
Maraschino cherries

Blend the cake mix, sour cream, water, and eggs. Set the ice cream cones out on a cookie sheet. Fill each cone about 2/3 to 3/4 full with the cake batter. I filled my cups on the full side, and they overflowed a little bit as they baked. But I kind of like how the overflowed batter looks like ice cream melting down the side of the cone. Leftover batter can be used for "regular" cupcakes. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350, depending on your oven.

Allow the cakes to cool, then put a dollop of white frosting on top, swirl it around to look like whipped cream, and top with a maraschino cherry. I patted the cherries dry ahead of time so that the juice wouldn't drip down the side of the frosting.

Alas, there were only a few cakes left for my picture because the rest had been devoured. I take that as a good sign.