Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Marshmallow Fondant

I don't think this post applies to this months challenge... although we did use two chocolate cake mixes from "my stash" of cakes in the back of my pantry {wink, wink}.
My sister-in-law came over with this great idea of practicing on a new recipe she came across. She supplied the fondant ingredients and I supplied the clean house for the kids to destroy while we wrecked havoc in the kitchen. I must say it was a fun, spontaneous project and we learned things along the way. (I'll put the recipe at the bottom of this post.)

Lesson 1. DO take the necessary steps to seal in the cake crumbs. I believe the tip is: thinly frost the cake and chill it in the fridge. This makes lesson two easier. 
Lesson 2: Frost your cake smoothly. The fondant really picks up the texture from underneath, whether it be bumpy crumbs or wavy frosting job.
Lesson 3: The recipe calls for kneading the dough before placing it in the fridge. THIS is a good time to add food coloring. Why do something twice when you could do it once. When I took my dough out of the fridge and added food coloring the kneading took more effort and I ended up having to add lots more powdered sugar, because it became sticky again.
Lesson 4: Use a pastry cloth! That made rolling the fondant a piece o' cake.
I baked the cake in a 9in round pans. I then used a giant heart shaped cookie cutter for the top layer and cut a heart out of paper as a template for the bottom layer.

This was my first time covering a cake with fondant. It was not hard. I rolled the dough out, then folded it in quarters to transport to the cake. I liked the next process of smoothing the fondant down and around the cake. This recipe is awesome. It is soft and stretchy, making it easy to manipulate.

To make the dots on the top layer I rolled fondant into balls and smashed them with a cup:) Another helpful tip I used is to apply the pieces of fondant onto the cake with a touch of water. 

Can you believe it? We ate it tonight! The kids ate it and liked it, even though none of them like marshmallows. I DON'T think I will ever buy fondant from Michaels again. It is pricey, it is dry...and hard...and tastes disgusting.  I DO think birthday cakes are going to be looking a little different around here. 


Marshmallow Fondant


  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 (16 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
  • 4 tablespoons water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 pounds confectioners' sugar, divided


  1. Place the butter in a shallow bowl, and set aside.
  2. Place the marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on High for 30 seconds to 1 minute to start melting the marshmallows. Carefully stir the water and vanilla extract into the hot marshmallows, and stir until the mixture is smooth. Slowly beat in the confectioners' sugar, a cup at a time, until you have a sticky dough. Reserve 1 cup of powdered sugar for kneading. The dough will be very stiff.
  3. Rub your hands thoroughly with butter, and begin kneading the sticky dough. As you knead, the dough will become workable and pliable. Turn the dough out onto a working surface dusted with confectioners' sugar and continue kneading until the fondant is smooth and no longer sticky to the touch, 5 to 10 minutes.
  4. Form the fondant into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. To use, allow the fondant to come to room temperature, and roll it out onto a flat surface dusted with confectioners' sugar.