GOOD BYE

Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Japanese Flag Clay Pendant

I have been wanting to put this post up for a while, but my camera disappeared for a few days before I had a chance to download the pictures. Finally, I found it today in the panrty. In the bucket of rice. I wonder was it my 5 year old or almost 2 year old? Most likely the almost 2 year old miniture tornado.

 Like everyone else, our family has been following the events in Japan. My boys felt very sad and upset at what happened. Even scared a bit. As I was reading the news online, I would share with them what I read and show videos. I could see how the suffering and the hardship the people of Japan are facing right now touched them deeply. We home school, and we have learned about Japan before, but I knew it was time to take out books again from the library. All about Japan and natural disasters. We watched a National Geographic movie on tsunamis along with reading books. Learning about the devastation these powerful waves cause, made me think about what we can do. To show our support we made Japanese flag clay pendants that my boys wear now all day long. The boys had the wonderful idea to make a bunch of these and sell them, than donate all the proceeds. But we are in the middle of a move and I am not Super Woman.
Used the same method as with this leaf pendant and just put them on a leather cord.

We made a few others that were inspired by Japanese art. Still, they wanted to do something more to show their support, other than wearing the pendants. They decided to donate part of the money they earn (my oldest has a summer job and the younger kids are getting paid to do extra chores). Aftre we move, we may go ahead and make those pendants to sell, if we do, we will let you know!

 So, where are we going to donate all those quarters and dollar bills?
We are LDS. Mormons. Therefore we are donating through our church. One thing that sets aside the LDS Humanitarian Fund from others is that 100% of your donation goes to providing needed items . The church absorbs its own overhead costs. If you would like to donate, please click on this link.

There are of course many other wonderful organizations who provide relief in need. Here is a list of organizations compiled by another site. No matter how small your donation is or which organization you choose, every little bit helps!