Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Origami/Kirigami Lily - Trash

For a long time I've been wanting to combine origami (paper folding) with kirigami (paper cutting) and I finally sat down to try it out today. I still have a long way to go, but I'm not displeased with today's efforts.

First I took a page from an old Bonsai Arts magazine, folded the lily and marked where I wanted to cut away some designs. Then I unfolded my flower and saw that I needed to cut in the corners.

Before folding the next lily (on thinner paper from a catalog), I cut out different patterns on the corners (or edges of corners) to see which cuttings resulted in what look. I only really like the one where both the top and bottom layers are cut away, although some of the others would probably also look good if I had had a contrasting inner/back side of my paper. (Next level, I guess!)

Then I took the cover of the catalog (I decided I needed something more stable since folding cut paper is not trivial I found out plus I liked the colors) to make my final product for today:
I folded and cut the corners all with the same completely-cut-away pattern, opened it up flat then folded it into the lily.