Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Boy's Corkboard (GREEN challenge)

I have been hoarding  a cork board I saved from the trash.

I ended up removing the frame since it was falling off and becoming a hazard. I was not sure what to do with it, until my 11 year old voiced his need for "something". This "something" had to be place where he could put up reminders, a weekly calendar, cheat codes for video games etc. A cork board! But it was pretty sad looking. I thought about painting it...but that leaves the edge still sticky and rough. I turned to my fabric stash and found some navy burlap I got a while ago with the intention of making (yet another) handbag or tote bag. It was perfect for a boy.

 I just used my heavy duty staple gun and stapled the burlap to the back of the cork board. I did the sides first, making sure I left some room around the corners. The cork board had great round corners, I wanted to make sure it stayed that way. So this is how I navigated the corners:
 1-2: Made sure I stapled the center of the round corner first, pulling the fabric snug.
3: Then I folded the two sides, stapled...
4: and you still have those nice round corners.

 Stapled ribbon to the back, so I could hang it. Then I thought it would be fun to decorate it somehow. After consulting with the boy, I stenciled an Autobot and Decepticon sign on it with the help of freezer paper.
Then I went ahead and added a couple of notes and put up his board.
I love how the painted stencil looks on burlap. I may have to explore this further with the leftover fabric I have.

linked up to