GOOD BYE

Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Sunday, June 12, 2011

WALLS: Perching Birds




I saw this adorable hand crafted shelf at Maple Shade Kids and loved the look. I didn't want a shelf or a peg rack, just the owls and birds. I thought they would look cute hanging out on top of the window frame in my girls' room.



For this project I used maple wood. What I love is that it felt free, it was left over from another project of my husbands. Once I drew, traced and cut out the shapes, I sanded them nice and smooth. I used an oil based varnish (also "free") only on the edges. Once that dried I taped the edges with painters tape to protect them from my sloppy Mod Podging skills.

 The only thing I didn't have on hand was the paper, but that was ,"cheep, cheep, cheep" I had to trace the wood onto the paper, then cut them smaller, since I wanted them to purposely be smaller than the wood. (I had also rounded the edges of the wood with sandpaper.)

This is the only picture I have of the process. I was trying to decide on what paper to use for the birds. I sent this to my husband to show him what project I was working on while he was out of town. I also sent it to my sister, seeking her opinion. I had envisioned using the darker blue on the left, but was leaning towards the lighter, she agreed, except she thought they both looked green:). Using both blues came later, a choice I am very happy with.


I attached the wood birds to the wall using 3M Command poster strips. Once they were up on the wall, they actually looked lonely above that big window. That's where phase two of this project was created. I designed the branch and leaves myself. The leaves obviously are done the same: sides varnish, top mod podge paper. For now the branch is just the raw maple wood. I am trying to decide whether to just put a clear varnish on it or stain it a dark branch color. I didn't want to wait till I decided before I showed off my handiwork. "HOO" knows, I may leave it the way it is.








linked up to
UndertheTableandDreaming The DIY Show Off
Tip Junkie handmade projectsChic on a Shoestring Decorating

homework