Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Thursday, July 28, 2011

NEW Challenge- Digital Fabric Design

I am not a whiz with programs like Photoshop, or Illustrator. I actually have their free counterparts, Gimp and Inkscape. It took me hours to figure out how to load a picture to Gimp. My vector drawings look more like what my 2 year old produces. Therefore I do not use any of those programs, rarely edit pictures and even then I use something very simple, like Picnik.

Then I happened upon Spoonflower. A company that prints your design on fabric! Anything! You come up with it, they make it happen.

 I have been looking for cute motorcycle fabric with no luck. And I had the perfect print in mind. I ended up using Paint and Picnik to put my design together. It is not perfect. I wanted the bikes to be different sizes and placed randomly, but I spent enough days staying up until 2 am to work on it. In the end I had to compromise with myself and realize that mastering digital fabric design is much harder (for me) than I thought.

 I have not given up completely. I am tempted to try to convince the makers of Gimp and Inkscape to write a How To Read and Understand Our Manual On How To Use Gimp/Inkscape. Because I did read them. Just did not get much out of it.

Enough of this. You want to see my fabric?
Click HERE to see it on Spoonflower and if you just have to have one, you can buy it!

Here is a screenshot:

And here is the fabric itself:

A close up.

The fabric with the motorcycle that inspired the design. Now if I could just pry it out of the motorcycle-obsessed-2-year-old-boy's hands, I could actually make him something.
I have to say that I am very happy with how fast they worked! Once I uploaded my design and ordered the fabric, 2 days later it was shipped out!

What I learned:

  • I need more time to learn how to use Gimp and Inkscape.
  • Fabric design is fun and can become addicting.
  • It can also be very frustrating.
  • I have way more respect for fabric designers. Even if it is just polka dots.

We Shared This Post At These Parties. (Click on the link to see all these wonderful blogs and make sure you hop over for a visit. They are worth it!)