GOOD BYE

Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Monday, August 1, 2011

NEW CHALLENGE--Whole Wheat Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

I recently bought a new cookbook, King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking, from Amazon.com, and I LOVE IT!!! Baking with whole grains has become my new passion because I am health-conscious but also like my healthy food to taste amazing. The recipes in here are so delicious! I love that the recipes have been tested and that they give so many helpful tips and so much information throughout the book. I happened upon this cookbook after finding a recipe for Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins on the Sisters' Cafe Blog. After I tried that recipe, I knew I had to have this cookbook:






I have been putting off trying this NEW recipe (I have no idea why--we love cookies at our house): Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. This month's challenge gave me the motivation to make these whole wheat cookies. They were very tasty! I even tested them out on a couple friends, and they were just as impressed as I am. Here's the recipe!


Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies from King Arthur Whole Grain Baking

The notes above the recipe: "This is it: the quintessential soft, chewy chocolate chip cookie. A deep, rich brown from whole wheat flour and brown sugar, it's positively packed with chips. There's no question: this will be one of the most popular whole grain baked treats you'll ever make!" (I'll have to agree! Their whole wheat brownie recipe is incredible, too! Most people would have no idea they were eating whole wheat cookies or brownies if you didn't tell them.)

3/4 cup unsalted butter

1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar

2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional--I did not add this)

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1/3 cup light corn syrup or brown sugar corn syrup

1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar

2 large eggs

2 1/4 cups traditional whole wheat flour (what you buy at the store, or red wheat if you grind your own)

3 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (I used semisweet)

In a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter, then stir in the sugar. Heat until the mixture is just beginning to bubble. Remove it from the burner or microwave, transfer it to a medium bowl and allow it to cool to lukewarm.

Stir in the vanilla, salt, baking soda, espresso powder (if using), baking powder, corn syrup and vinegar. Add the eggs, beating well after each addition, then the flour, stirring to combine, and finally mix in the chips. Refrigerate the dough, covered, overnight (this step is CRUCIAL to success with this recipe).

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets or line with parchment paper.

Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake the cookies, reversing the pans midway through (top to bottom, bottom to top), until they're just beginning to brown around the edges, 12 to 13 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool completely on the pan, using a turner to loosen them after 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

Posted by Picasa




We share most of our posts at THESE parties. Please click on the link to see these wonderful blogs and make sure you hop over for a visit!

This post was shared at:
The DIY Show Off
Tip Junkie handmade projects





Chic on a Shoestring Decorating