Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Florence Flask Birthday Cake

We've Had a Birthday, Shout Hooray!
My oldest turned 10! and that means, CAKE. I gave him a list of ideas and he loved the Flask cake. I got it off of Family Fun recipes, but am not going to link you to it, because of course it's perfect and I'm not here to compare. It was a great cake to make--fun and easy. My son suggested the idea of using the measurements to show his age. Brilliant! 

I used the tops of two bunt cakes, a paper tower roll and batting. Truth be told, I should have used cotton candy. It wasn't that long ago that I saw some in the middle isle of some store, I can't remember where, and thought, "That looks even less appealing than at the fair. Who buys cotton candy in a grocery store?" It had to be two day later I wanted cotton candy, like some sick craving. After I couldn't find it at my #1 store, I decided it wasn't worth the effort and nobody in our family would eat it anyway. End of story.

Wikipedia definition:
Florence flask (also known as a boiling flask) is a type of flask used as an item of laboratory glassware. It can be used as a container to hold solutions of chemicals. A Florence flask has a round body with a single long neck and with either a round or a flat bottom. A Florence flask with a flat bottom may stand upright alone on a flat surface; flasks with round bottoms need support to stand upright. It is designed for uniform heating and ease of swirling; it is produced in a number of different glass thicknesses to stand different types of use. They are often made of borosilicate glass to prevent cracks or defacing of the glass. The flask is named after Florence, Italy. Traditional Florence flasks typically do not have a ground glass joint on their rather longer necks but typically have a slight lip or flange around the tip of the neck. A common size for a Florence flask is a volume of 1 litre.[1]

This post was shared at: