Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Guest Posting

I get to guest post this week at Skip To My Lou for the Holiday Bake, Craft & Sew Along!
It is a great series full of wonderful ideas to make your homemade Holiday gift giving easier! Head over to Skip To My Lou for sewing ideas, According to Kelly for craft projects and A Southern Fairytale for delicious holiday recipes.

I decided to share an older post. Actually, it is two older posts and a finished project combined. I made over the 2 posts into 1 and took new pictures with the finished project included.

Here is the updated tutorial on how to make these fun reverse applique scarves.

I picked 3 colors, I got 1/2 yard of rib knit in brown, blue and green. Cut two 6 inch strips of each. And from the leftovers, I cut four 5 1/2 inch squares in each color to be used in the designs at the end of each scarf. You can change the sizes easily and make longer or skinnier scarves.
I decided to make a folk bird, a tree with a pear and a flower design. Once the design was chosen I had to figure out the color combinations. I was going to work with 2 colors for the decorations, not the usual one. I layered the fabric accordingly. Here, I started arranging the fabric for the tree scarf. I wanted a blue background for the main scarf color, green next for the crown of the tree and brown for the trunk and the pear.
With the right side facing down, I started stacking the fabric pieces. You do not want to add the second main scarf piece just yet! I pinned the pieces together and started on the designs! You want to make sure your motif will fit inside the squares. 

I copied my chosen designs to Wash and Tear and used Sulky to secure it to the fabric. You can attach it to the main scarf piece too. I tried both ways, and I liked it better from the main scarf piece better. (The reason why I used a temporary adhesive is that I did not want the Wash and Tear shift and worry about too many needles.)

I used my walking foot to sew the knit fabric. You do not need one. Just increase your stitch length to about 3.5 and go slow. I sewed all around the design lines.

See how great the Wash and Tear works?

Here you can see the Tree scarf, I sewed the design on the main scarf, instead of the inside squares.
Now for the fun part! Start cutting! Pinch your top layer of fabric and make a small slit and cut along the sewn lines. For the trunk part, I had to cut through 2 layers to get to the brown color.

After I cut away the green tree crown, I sewed a small pear on the green fabric, cut it away to reveal the brown color underneath.

 I did the same with the flower motif. 

Once I finished with both ends of a scarf, I added the second main scarf body, wrong sides together and top stitched around the scarf. I advise you to pin frequently, because knit fabric shifts easier.

Done! You can use pinking shears to cut the edge or just leave it as it is. Wrap it up, and you have a great homemade gift!

Instead of scarves, you could also make 

 a cute Slouchy Bag, or...

an adorable Tunic

We share most of our posts at THESE parties. Please click on the link to see these wonderful blogs and make sure you hop over for a visit!
This post was shared at:
Tip Junkie handmade projectsChic on a Shoestring DecoratingThe DIY Show Off