Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Horse Birthday Cake

My daughter recently had a birthday and this is the cookie cake that I made and decorated for her. It took about 1 and 1/2 hours, I think, with a little helper. She wanted a Halloween cake OR a princess/queen jeweled cake. I've already done those exact cookie cakes before, so I asked if it was okay if I surprised her.
I found the horses at the Dollar Tree store. I make my own buttercream frosting and added just food coloring drops.

Here is a step-by-step picture show and tell of how I did it so you can do it too:
Standard jelly roll pan and a smaller toaster oven pan with cookie in it.
To make the hill, I cut the small pan cookie at a diagonal so that one of the 'halves' is bigger than the other. Then I cut them into several smaller pieces that I could remove them easier from the pan.

'Glue' the larger half down with frosting.
Stack the next on top with more 'glue'.
For a waterfall that looked more 'natural', I cut into the hillside with a sharp paring knife a little bit. Yes, eat the cookie pieces.
I decided to do the green first; I put down a smooth layer and then made 'peaks' with the rubber scraper. I added more green coloring to add variety in the value and tone to the whole art piece and made darker grass on the edges.
I love just putting frosting in a ziploc sandwich bag and snipping the corner just a little. Easy to throw away and not worry about cleaning tips or bags.
Grass detail.
I used chocolate animal crackers for rocks in the creek and waterfall.
Carefully 'draw' the direction of the flow of the water. I also had a bag of white frosting saved for the words that I decided would also add more interest to the water.
I put the white where 'white water' would be.
Almost done- just need pretty flower sprinkles.
Perfect for little helpers to do!
Now it looks more inviting!
The ponies like it! Or they just want the candy corn in the back...
Fun with Photoshop: My daughter and I had fun doctoring the photo above for about 10 minutes in Photoshop. We call it Horse Fantasy.

We share most of our posts at THESE parties. Please click on the link to see these wonderful blogs and make sure you hop over for a visit!
This post was shared at:
Tip Junkie handmade projectsChic on a Shoestring DecoratingThe DIY Show Off