GOOD BYE

Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

This One's For the Boy

After the successful sewing session with my girls a few days ago, where they made their own skirts, that turned out beautifully, I was pumped to take on a project to challenge my own sewing skills. I decided to make something for my son. I have no doubt he would have loved being let loose on the sewing machine, also, but this particular project involved knit fabric, not for beginners, and besides he was in bed during the three hours from 9:30pm to 12:30am in which this project was executed. Up until now I've pretty much avoided boy clothes, I prefer more loosey-goosey, flowing projects that I can just sort of make up as I go along. Projects with gathers that hide crooked seams and puckers, projects where you can stick lace trim over the hem to cover up your drunken lines of stitching.

So with this project I overcame my fear of boy clothes, drafted my own pattern, and sewed on jersey knit for the first time. Even better, it was free, since I repurposed clothes others had thrown out. Can you tell I'm feeling good about it?

I followed this raglan tee tutorial, there were others but this one made the most sense to me. I cut the body and neck pieces out of the black Hanes t-shirt from my brother, and the sleeves out of the back of a red knit shirt from my mother. The front had lace on it, and a few grease stains, but the back was perfect. On both shirts I was able to place the bottom of my pattern piece right on the hem, so I didn't have to hem the bottom of the shirt or the sleeves, yay! It really went together fast once I figured it all out, it's only four pieces, two body pieces and two sleeves. I was the most nervous about the collar piece, and it did turn out a little wide, but still, for my first try it's very acceptable.

When he woke up the next morning, my son was thrilled to see his new shirt. As you can see, he was so jazzed I had trouble getting him to stand still for pictures. We're both pretty enamoured with it. I already have the next one cut out, and I'll post step by step pictures of how I converted the original short sleeve pattern from the tutorial into a long sleeve pattern, so stay posted...



This post was shared at:
Tip Junkie handmade projectsChic on a Shoestring DecoratinghomeworkCreative ItchBeneath the Rowan TreeHome Stories A2Z