Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Books, Books, Books and De-Cluttering Tips

I love books and this Christmas I was blessed to receive quite a few from family and friends. I got a great mixture of reading materials, two sewing books I have had my eyes on for a couple of years, great fiction books, and a few inspirational books from LDS apostles. In the last few days I have already read  some of the books and it has been really great to curl up on the couch with a mug of hot cocoa and forget about life and just read for a while.
I will also get to learn a new skill this year...

I already have a project in mind that I need to start working on soon, before it gets hot here again. We also spent the last few days doing early 'spring' cleaning. I went through all the closets, clothes, craft stuff, storage boxes and the garage and collected all garbage and at least a dozen bags packed to take to a donation center.
I have to admit it was a bit painful to go through my storage bins. I have been saving clothes to refashion, so I had to make the tough decision to only keep a few and donate the rest. It feels good however, to have more storage space and more organized closets. Also, now I have room to put a long table we have been saving, in the walk-in closet to use as my cutting table.

I also searched the web for some tips on de-cluttering (and to making me feel better about getting rid of so much potential projects). Here are a few of my favorites:

  1. "Use the “one in, two out” rule. The rule: whenever you bring in an item, you have to throw away two other items. First you cheat, by throwing out two pieces of paper, but soon you will have to move to big stuff.
  2. Clothing rule: If you haven’t worn an item in 1 year, sell or donate it.
  3. The One-Year Box. Take all your items that you unsure about getting rid of (e.g. “I might need this someday…”), put them in a box, seal it and date it for 1 year in the future. When the date comes, and you still didn’t need to open it to get anything, donate the box WITHOUT OPENING IT. You probably won’t even remember what there was in the box.
  4. Ask yourself if you really need something. If you hesitate, you don't.
  5.  Get rid of unwanted or bad pictures. Eliminate ruined shots, cut-off shots, blurred and too light, too dark shots, bad photos and those completely black prints and slides! You will never use them and just think; they will insult your photo prowess!"

Web sites I used: