I also searched the web for some tips on de-cluttering (and to making me feel better about getting rid of so much potential projects). Here are a few of my favorites:
- "Use the “one in, two out” rule. The rule: whenever you bring in an item, you have to throw away two other items. First you cheat, by throwing out two pieces of paper, but soon you will have to move to big stuff.
- Clothing rule: If you haven’t worn an item in 1 year, sell or donate it.
- The One-Year Box. Take all your items that you unsure about getting rid of (e.g. “I might need this someday…”), put them in a box, seal it and date it for 1 year in the future. When the date comes, and you still didn’t need to open it to get anything, donate the box WITHOUT OPENING IT. You probably won’t even remember what there was in the box.
- Ask yourself if you really need something. If you hesitate, you don't.
- Get rid of unwanted or bad pictures. Eliminate ruined shots, cut-off shots, blurred and too light, too dark shots, bad photos and those completely black prints and slides! You will never use them and just think; they will insult your photo prowess!"
Web sites I used: