GOOD BYE

Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Friday, January 20, 2012

Crafty Kids: Get Creative with Food



I've had a love/hate relationship with Martha Stewart Living for years, I love looking at all the pictures and getting inspired, but I hate how it makes me feel like my real life will never be good enough.  I subscribed once or twice, and the magazines would pile up month by month, hanging around the house as reminders of all those great projects I was never getting around to doing.  Then I stopped subscribing and just let myself pick up an issue once a year or so.  But somehow, the latest issue showed up in my mailbox, with my name on it.  I don't remember subscribing, but there it was.  I paged through it and realized that it's not so daunting these days, partly because my kids are older and my life runs a little more smoothly, with more time for creativity, and partly because this blog has kept me more on the ball in following through on my crafty inspirations.  The first thing I spotted were some delicious looking coconut macaroons with a pool of luscious caramel in the middle.  This is one of those, "Why didn't I ever think of that?" moments.  Macaroons are so easy to make, why did I never think to make them as thumbprint cookies and fill them with something delicious?  

I got my daughters on it right away, isn't is great that they're old enough to cater to my whims?  Of course they were as excited about the cookies as I was.  The two of them, along with their seven year old cousin, mixed up the cookies all by themselves and baked them.  For the macaroon part we used this tried and true recipe from the Baker's coconut bag, it's so easy, you just mix everything up in one bowl, the only thing they needed help with was separating the egg whites from the yolks.

 By the time we got to the carmel step I'd lost two helpers, but my eleven year old helped me melt some caramel candies along with a little milk, and she spooned it into the cookies.  They came out beautiful and delicious!  Next up, we're going to try some with nutella, mmm....

This post was shared at:
Beneath the Rowan Tree