GOOD BYE

Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

On My Needles and Nightstand

I spotted this yarn along on Small Things this morning in my feed reader and found the idea so charming I had to participate.  She says:
 Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?
Knitting and reading happen to be two of my favorite things also, and I enjoyed looking through the pictures linked up and reading about what people are reading and creating.  Here's mine:

I'm nearly finished with a pair of wool socks I started for myself a few weeks ago.  Toe up, two at a time on two circular needles.  I had a hankering for some Pippy Longstocking socks, I think these colors give that vibe, don't you agree?  Starting at the top of the book stack, I've been pretty diligent with my daily scripture reading lately, prodded by my seven year old son who wants to finish the Book of Mormon before he turns eight and gets baptized in March.  My day always goes better when I start it off with scripture.  As far as literature goes, I vowed at the beginning of the year to read one book at a time and just finish it before starting another one.  Unfortunately, I started with Middlemarch, and that's proving to be a book I can only read so much of at a time, and it's over 800 pages long.  I'm enjoying it, but I need something lighter sometimes.  Also, I keep coming across great book suggestions on various blogs and checking them out from the library, so of course they have to be read and returned.  Bird by Bird, a non-fiction book on writing by Anne Lamott is charming so far, I've only scratched the surface.  The next two are both Cybils finalists I'm pre-screening for my kids.  The Inquisitors Apprentice feels a little convoluted to me, but I like the characters.  I just noticed the authors name on the spine, Moriarty.  I wonder if that's a pen name, a nod to Sherlock Holmes nemesis.  Icefall, I actually finished already, but I'm reading it aloud to the children.  I can't say enough wonderful things about it- it has everything you could hope for.  Great writing, good storytelling, likeable and engaging characters, a plot suspenseful enough to keep you guessing 'til the end, and the whole thing is a deep metaphor for the power of words and storytelling and faith to change the world.  Definitely a must-read.  Not pictured, I just realized, is Blackout, by Connie Willis, which I've already finished, but the kids and I are listening to it together on Audible.  It's not written for kids, but it's great and really brings World War II London alive.  Wendell Berry is at the bottom of the stack, and I'm actually listening to his volume of short stories, That Distant Land, on Audible, and I must have loaned out my paper copy so A Place on Earth is standing in for it.  Wendell Berry's writing is part of my personal cannon, only below scripture in it's life-changing significance to me.  I've read all of his novels and many of his essay collections, but I'm winding through them on audio, just for fun.  So that's what's on my needles and on my nightstand!