GOOD BYE

Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Free-Motion Embroidery to the Rescue!


Okay, so I've been having some stain issues! I'm happy to say that I'm finally coming to terms with them. I've owned this yellow short-sleeved sweatshirt top for over 30 years I think, and I love how comfortable it is, but, alas, it has a stain right on the chest. I did try the bleach pen on this, but the fabric is too old and has been washed so much, I suppose, that the bleach pen did almost nothing.

See the liberal amounts of bleach here? Didn't do a thing. *sigh*
Backup solution? Free-motion machine embroidery!!

Free-motion embroidery is actually quite easy to do although the idea seems a bit intimidating. I personally like having the feed dogs move my fabric along in a nice handy, straight line. So, lowering the feed dogs and controlling the fabric all on my own is stepping a bit out of my comfort zone. But, boy, is it simple and fun, especially for a doodler-type like me! Here is a nice YouTube tutorial for doing free-motion embroidery from LucyKate Crafts that is friendly as well as thorough. Following her instructions, it was really easy to embroider these lollipop-like flowers onto my sweatshirt. It's really just like doodling, except instead of holding a pencil, you move your fabric around as you wish. Quite neat and fun AND super fast!

Now I can wear my shirt again! And my 5-year old gave it a vote of approval as well, so I must have done a decent job! Here's a few of the doodled lollipop-flowers up close:


Have a lovely day,
Janice