Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Homemade Fruit & Veggie Juices

I recently bought a juicer and am so pleased with the great concoctions I can now make.  Although full of great vitamins and minerals, I am not a big fan of chewing lots of raw vegetables and fruits.  I just don't have the patience.  BUT as I do drink lots of water throughout the day, I thought that a juicer would be a perfect way to get those vitamins without changing my lifestyle drastically.

A juicer (or juice extractor) is a pretty handy thing: you can toss in just about any combination of fruits and vegetables and, voil√†, you have something super to drink!  I also LOVE the colors and the layering that happens as a natural result of putting in one ingredient at a time!  (The gorgeous red is from red beet.)

I don't have pictures to show the step-by-step process, but there are plenty of videos to look at that will show you what to do.

Basically, the steps involved are:
1. set up your machine and a glass, container or measuring cup to catch the juice
2. wash and cut up your fruits and veggies into sizes that will fit into your machine - lay them next to the machine
3. turn on the machine and drop in your ingredients one by one, pressing down very gently with the tamper -- this goes very quickly on mine!
4. turn off the machine, throw away the fibrous leftovers and clean your machine parts.
5. stir it up and enjoy!

I've found some nice recipes online and some of the ones that I've made are listed here.

- 1 cucumber, 1 lime, 1 apple, a handful of basil leaves

- red beet, carrot, apple, ginger

My experiments:
- red beet, apple, kiwi, a piece of ginger, carrot, lime

- red beet, apple, kiwi, ginger, carrot, lime, cucumber, orange, a handful of rocket salad

- 3 carrots, celery stalk, small wedge of cabbage

- red beet, apple, carrot, ginger, celery

- 2 carrots, apple, small wedge of cabbage, ginger, piece of broccoli, cucumber, orange, pear

-  3 oranges, apple, red beet, 1/2 cucumber, 2 carrots, tomato

In any case, you choose exactly what you want to put in - more veggie or more fruit - and you have a super nutritional drink for your day.  I make mine in the morning and sip it throughout the day.