GOOD BYE

Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Summer Fun Idea: Homemade Lava Lamps


I think I'm the world's best copycat.  That's why I love the internet so much:  It helps me find awesome ideas that I can copy and use for my own family.  Summertime is no exception, and thanks to many fantastic bloggers, I was able to put together a fun list of summer activities for my very active brood.  Since I've benefited so much from other bloggers' generosity, I thought I'd go ahead and share some of our favorite things in case others are searching too.

This is an idea I first saw at S.L.Smith Photography, but I think she found it at Family Fun Magazine.

We used big water bottles, oil from the pantry (I think we had Canola on hand), tap water, food coloring, and Alka Seltzer tablets.

Fill the bottles about 2/3 full with the oil and then fill with tap water to the top, leaving about an inch to an inch-and-a-half at the very top.  We put 20 drops of food color in, but mostly because we wanted to make sure we had vibrant color.  I think we could have used less...  : )  The food color will slowly drip down to the bottom and color the water, leaving the oil clear.

To "activate" the lava lamp, break an Alka Seltzer tablet into quarters and drop a quarter into the bottle.  It will immediately start to fizz, sending colored water bubbles through the oil to the top.  Very fun to watch, even for The Mom.  The bubbles last for about a minute for each quarter tablet dropped in.  We noticed that after several rounds with the Alka Seltzer, the oil and water began to look cloudy.  But after a day or so of rest, it all cleared up again.  These are definitely reusable.

Hope this brings someone else as much enjoyment as it brought us!