GOOD BYE

Show, Tell, Share is no longer an active blog. You can find us at our new homes:
visit Ideleon here
visit Dora & Rachel at Untrendy Life

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Time and Choices - a different kind of craft post

Made by me. You are welcome to use it. 
Lately, the idea of time and choices has been on my mind a lot. While reading and studying the Bible and the Book of Mormon and pondering the words of our living prophet and apostles, I came across this talk by President Monson and another great talk by Dallin H. Oaks on Focus and Priorities.  There were a lot of things to think about, but I felt the main message for me was simple: "Time is a gift, a treasure not to be put aside for the future but to be used wisely in the present."


I am still trying to figure out what I have learned means exactly for me. I know I need to spend less time at the computer. Less time thinking about my next project and more time thinking how to make my family happier. Less time on trips to Joann's and more time on trips to the park or the library. Less time making crafts and more time making memories.  Less time reading blogs and more time reading books. 


So,  I made something to remind me of how precious time and choices are.
  
I know, it sounds a bit hypocritical. It's not. Trust me. 






 I had my boys help me. I involved them as we talked about the quote I chose from our prophet. They helped me pick out the fonts, then painted and glued. We did it together. And by all means it is not perfect. The paint bled through because my 3 year old put way too much glue in certain spots and there are plenty of wrinkles and it is not perfectly aligned. And I did not get to take pictures for a tutorial, since I had to closely supervise my younger two boys. 




But it reminds me that time I spent making this plaque was special.  Well spent.  


{In case you want to know, I simply printed off the quote on regular paper. Painted the wooden plaque first pewter grey then light turquoise. Let the paint dry between coats. After the paint dried, starting in the middle of the plaque, I painted a long line of Modge Podge and positioned the paper on top. Then added more glue on the sides and carefully smoothing the paper as I went glued both sides down. Took sandpaper to the edges to sand off extra paper. Applied Modge Podge on top. Took about 1 hour with extra help.}






This post was shared at:
Home Stories A2ZTip Junkie handmade projectsChic on a Shoestring DecoratingThe DIY Show Off     Positively Splendid