And the pocket is simply a rectangle with rounded corners on the bottom and a gusset that goes around. Made the lining the same way, out right sides together, sewed around leaving a small opening. Turned it right side out and got another 3-d pocket. I hated sewing it on the bag though. I had to use the seam ripper a lot and it is still a bit off.
The worse part was adding the gussets and sewing around the corners. Since the bag is pretty stiff ( I used heavy sew-in stabilizer) it was really difficult to navigate around the curved corners with all the layers. On top of it, the fabric I used frays way too easily. I should have used more seam allowance. It works, and I am getting better at tackling more complicated designs.
Although something simpler would be nicer for next time. Maybe a bucket bag!